Monday, October 13, 2008

Trust


Trust
September 16, 2008
My journey began. Earlier than I had expected. We were planning on getting up at 4:30 am , leave by 5. But the boys were restless, or maybe it was monkey mind. Whatever the cause, I found myself engaged in all the last minute tasks that never got done last night. At just a tad past 3, my phone began ringing, unavailable it said. I recognized the voice immediately, it was Jae, my dear friend at Galare. One-Two go Air had gone under and we had 19 tickets for Oct. 11th. Jae already had a solution, get a refund and rebook out of a different airport. Done. Problem acknowledged, problem solved.
I learned several valuable lessons from this
1. Trust. The reason we couldn’t sleep was so that I could get that call.
2. Trust. Traveling to another country does hold its share of headaches. That’s what makes traveling with me (or any other tour group) worth its value.
3. Trust. Create a solid team and anything is possible.
4. Trust. It is all there, waiting. Just need to accept.
This part of the journey has an otherworld dimension to it.
You dread the facts on the paper: 14 hrs. 57 min. Your logical mind fights with the image of a crumpled discarded, stiff being in seat 54k. The long waits between security and boarding. Unhealthy, expensive fillers at the food court. But the child, and oh how my child loves to come out and play when traveling. The child, entertains itself at the duty free shop-prancing around moisturizers, new fragrances, eye colors. Thrilled by the distractions of other travelers, their clothes, languages, how little or so much they have with them. Hoping the counter ticket agent can seat you next to an empty seat.
Ahhhhhh and then the flight. Korean Air delightfully surprised me with water, travel socks, eye covers and tooth supplies sat neatly stacked in my seat. An individual boob tube right in front of me. My gratitude reaches into my memory banks to the days when the economy class shared a handful of tiny screens, dictated to a set program of shows. I have before me, alleluia Korean Air, 21 films that I can start and stop at any time. At a whim.
Ahhhhhhh I love to fly. Movies, bee-bim-bap (Korean mainstay), a little wine and AN EMPTY SEAT beside me makes for a very happy inner child to play in the depths of nothingness for may wonderfully long hours. It is only 4:30. We have been air bound for less than 3 hours. I have 12 to go. Where will this wild child be in 5 hours or 7É.. will the book, the computer, the individual TV screen be enough occupy the hours. Sleep is nowhere to be had. Not yet. Still feels like I am on vacation. Like my little Pepper at the Farmers market-so excited to sniff everything out. Aren’t the things in our lives a reflection of our own lives? Thank you my little Pepper for being so true.
12:30 noon Wed. Oct. 17th. Nearing the end. After 20 hours in the air (and many more in transit), my mind is numb.

No comments: