Monday, October 13, 2008

returning

When the plane touches down in Bangkok, it feels like I have come home. Over the years of living here and traveling here, this Land of Smiles has become my second home. The familiar passage from my world to my world, a flip flop that is as normal as day turning to night. I can feel the heat before I even step out of the modern airport, waiting to suck the moisture from my skin. Oh, it’s not that bad. Loose fitting clothes, sun dresses and sandals, shaded gardens and cool bottles of water master the tropical sun.
As is usually the case, my Thai falters at customs, feeling heavy and twisted on my English tongue. Within days the words begin to flow, the accent shifts and the gracious Thai’s ask “Khun yu tee nee gi wan ka”/how many days you stay in Thailand.

Arriving weeks before my group allows me to focus on filling my little leather bound book with new words and phrases. With my ever present need to notch up my tours, I spent the first two days in Grung Thep (Bangkok) in search of an even better hotel, learning the river systems, China Town. Searching for sources to add to jing jing’s design collection. Crushed to discover the man, Khun Gai, who works leather has disappeared, delighted to discover Noi and Om at Chatuchak market.
I came so early to spend time with Maew and help her with her new hotel Thapae Boutique Hotel http://www.thapaeboutiquehouse.com/. Her needs of marketing and promotion fill some of my hours.
When not pounding away at my own marketing and promotions, I wander familiar streets searching out whatever may be new and indulging in all that is old. Street vendors are becoming harder to find, garden cafes are springing up at every corner.
Visits with my friends at Galare Guest House and in Warowat Market make the days full!

No comments: