Monday, October 13, 2008

for the really curious

I grew up on a 110 acre farm in the small town of Lyons, NY. I was blessed with a younger brother, Brian and two younger sisters, Amy and Rebecca. My world was filled with rabbits, a pony named Tara, our best friend Musket-a loving Golden Retriever who shared 17 years with us and so many cats throughout the years, I don’t know if I could name them all. I had a fabulous childhood, making forts out of the old chicken coop, ice skating on the pond, wandering the woods, cross country skiing the acres of plowed corn fields, creating carnivals for the neighborhood kids, setting up “store” in the closet under the stairs. I loved my runs down Townline road, over the hill of Cuddeback, past the cows and down the railroad bed. Summers were spent either in Maine or at the lake with my family.

Meal time was always a family affair. Every night Mom would have a hot dinner on the table and the six of us would relate stories from the day. And of course there was always a PD. We had our chores, but my folks somehow managed to let us be mostly kids. They seemed to have 36 hours to each day-raising 4 kids in an antique cobblestone house. The barn, the ponds, woods, creeks, a driveway that was a ¼ mile long. It was a wonderful place to grow up.
I was a member of 4-H forever, where I learned how to sew, make tasty treats, run an organization and develop great friends. Looking back I was probably considered a nerd-for I strove to get blue ribbons at the county and state fairs for my no bake cookies and newest piece of clothing.

My grades were decent. I had to study hard. And I recognized early in life how the actions of another can affect a mindset. Teachers that supported and some that knocked down. In reflection I see how, regretfully, I let some of them shift my life direction. My education at Lyons Jr/Sr High served me well for the 80’s.
When I came back from Greece, something had shifted in me. My senior year flew by with the typical fan fare of being a Senior. I had no idea how to direct this new found piece of me, the me born in Greece. The Guidance Office did their best to direct me, none of us aware of the endless possibilities. But I did ok with my college choice, though in reflection, I would have done it a little different-but isn’t that life?!
College is a blur. SUNY Geneseo-a great place to spend 4 years. I worked through most of it, if not in food services as an RA for the dorms. I started a sorority in my Senior year (rebellion toward the other Greeks who abused their initiates), worked in the travel center as well as I am sure many things that no longer sit in the folds of my memory. I never studied abroad, my biggest regret to date. I blame my college boyfriend, but who knows the real reasons.
One of the most valuable lessons of college was being witness to many 40 some-thing’s who didn’t really like their lives. They had worked straight out of college and were now wondering where life had gone. I promised myself that I would not turn forty in regret. The amazing thing is, I have passed that milestone and even with all I have done, all the lives I have lived, I still wish I had done more. Maybe I know that this is the last go around for my soul. To date I still try to cram as much in as I possibly can.

This eagerness of life, to stimulate each sense as often as possible feeds me. It is in the marrow of my soul. It is who I am.

I spent my 20’s working so that I could travel. My first journey being a one way ticket to the Netherlands with my 10 speed bike and a mess of a boyfriend. This journey shaped my relentless quest for the unknown. Biking until the hills became mountains, we settled into a mountain chalet for the summer, walking the ridges for supplies. Our refrigerator was the water trough ...
To be continued………………….

No comments: